How to install the mxPress plugin
- Backup your current WordPress instance (this is typically the “wordpress” folder on your webserver) in case you need to roll back.
- Login to your WordPress console with your “admin” user.
- Click on the “Plugins” menu item in your left navigation.
- Click on “Add new” at the top of the next page.
- In the Search box type “mxpress” and click “Search Plugins”.
- Hold your thumbs, toes and noes, and click on “Install”.
- You should get a “Plugin successfully installed” message.
- Test that it is working by going to “http://your.wordpress.site.com?mxitversion”
(passing in the ?mxitversion string on the end of your normal URL should tell the plugin to show you what the Mxit version of your site looks like. Note this is ONLY for testing, you should not add this parameter when you configure your Mxit dashboard)
- Test that your normal site is still working fine by going to “http://your.wordpress.site.com”
As of now, your WordPress site is now Mxit compatible. You can now point your Mxit Mobi Portal to your normal WordPress URL. The plugin is intelligent enough to know if a normal users is accessing your site from the Web (do nothing), or if Mxit is accessing your site, show the Mxit version of your site.
How to configure the mxPress plugin
You might now want to configure certain aspects of how the Mxit version of your site is displayed. To do that keep two browser windows open, one to test your site with, go to ”http://your.wordpress.site.com?mxitversion” , and in the other go to your WordPress Admin GUI and follow these steps:
- Once inside your normal WordPress Admin GUI: Hover over the “Appearance” item in the left menu navigation, and click on “Mxit Options”.
- We recommend that you tick:
- Show titles
- Fix bullet lists
- Wrap lists with line-breaks
- Extra linebreak adfter list items
- Create Smartlinks
- Auto-split content
- Use manual splits
- Fix external links
- Redirect external links
- Hide site front page content
- List all pages on front page
- List child pages below Pages
- Standard footer navigation
- And that you untick:
- List blog categories on front page
- List all pages below Pages
- List categories below single posts
- Now configure what colours you want to use for: “Background colour”, “Default Text”, “Title” and “Headings” (h1 to h6)
- Finally click “Save Changes”.
- To get your menu setup, you need to now go to “Appearance / Menus” and setup a primary menu with all the pages and categories you want to show on your Mxit App’s homepage. Call it “Mxit Menu”.
- Go to “Appearance / Mxit Options” and set your “Static Home/Blog” menu to the above menu you created.
That should give you a descent Mxit compatible page, with some navigation on the home screen that makes sense to a Mxit user.
How to setup my Mxit Mobi Portal:
- Go to the Mxit Developer Site;
- Register a new developer account with Mxit;
- Register your Mxit App. (see the process in the Mxit App Getting Started Guide)
- Following the Getting Started Guide, and once you click “Create Mobi Portal”, you will be prompted for a URL. Simly enter the URL of your WordPress site in the URL textbox. Go through the next steps and click “Save”.
- Your Mxit Portal will now say “Activating” in your dashboard until Mxit approves it. That should happen within 24hours. (during work hours).
- You will receive an email from Mxit once your Mxit Portal has been activated. (Mxit approves your app to make sure it complies with their Code of Ethics)
Testing my Mxit Portal
- To check whether your Mxit portal is now available to the public, you can simply open Mxit on your phone and click on “Add Contact”, then select “Manually add contact”, and when asked for a MxitID, type in the “Application Name” you provided when registering the Mxit Mobi Portal in step 3 above.
- If you don’t have Mxit on your phone, simply follow these steps:
- Go to m.mxit.com on your phone.
- Download and install the Mxit Client.
- Register a new user account with Mxit (this is a “user” account, not to be confused with a “developer” account)
- Login with your new user account.